Executive Chef, 404 Hotel and Kitchen, Nashville, TN
December 2012 – Present (Scheduled to open summer 2013)
Sous Chef, Flyte World Dinning, Nashville, TN
September 2011-December 2012
Executive Chef, Watermark, Nashville, TN
April 2011 – September 2011
Butcher | Fishmonger, FIG, Charleston, SC
February 2010 – April 2011
- Best Restaurant, Charleston City Paper (2010)
- Best Downtown Restaurant, Charleston City Paper (2010)
- Sous Chef, Iron Chef America, December (2010)
Culinary Arts Instructor, The Art Institute of Charleston, Charleston, SC
January 2008 – April 2011
- Menu Planning and Cost Control
- American Regional Cuisine
- Purchasing and Product I.D.
- Introduction to Baking
Executive Chef | Sommelier | Partner, Red Sky, Seabrook Island, SC
July 2007 (opening) – February 2010
- Award of Excellence, Wine Spectator (2009)
- Best Reason to Drive to Seabrook, Charleston City Paper (2009)
- Four Stars, Charleston Post and Courier (2008)
Sous Chef, The Ocean Room – The Sanctuary Hotel at Kiawah Island Golf Resort, Kiawah Island, SC
August 2004 (opening) – June 2007
- Award of Excellence from Wine Spectator (2005, 2006)
- The Sanctuary Hotel rated 5 Diamonds by AAA (2006)
- The Sanctuary Hotel awarded 4 stars by Mobile (2006)
- The Ocean Room awarded 4 Stars by Mobile (2006)
- The Sanctuary Hotel rated 4 Diamonds by AAA (2005)
- Certified Trainer (2005)
- Voted “Best Restaurant in South Carolina” (2004)
Sous Chef, Little Star, Knoxville, TN
August 2003 – August 2004
- Award of Excellence, Wine Spectator (2004)
- Rated “Best New Restaurant in Knoxville” (2003)
Fish Prep | Window Setup | Monger, Blagden’s Fish Monger, London, England
January 2003 – August 2003
Meat Preparation | Butchering, Allen’s Butcher Shop, London, England
January 2003 – Augst 2003
Saucier Chef, The Orangery, Knoxville, TN
May 2002 – December 2002
- Rated 4 Diamonds by AAA
Head Line Cook | Prep Cook, Aubry’s Café, Powell, TN
April 1998 (opening) – December 2002
Financial Advisor | Certified Financial Manager, Merrill Lynch, Knoxville, TN
June 1999 – April 2002
Line Cook/Security, Black Horse Brewery, Knoxville, TN
January 1997 (opening) – January 1999
Line Cook/Dishwasher/Host, Aubry’s Café, Farragut, TN
January 1996 – January 1997
F.E.A.S.T Together, Nashville, TN
December 2011- December 2012
- Produce 10 week seasonal vegetarian menu
- Organize and provide customers with detailed food provenance information
- Utilize only local and regional farm produce
The Flatwater Grill, Oak Ridge, TN
September 2011 – December 2011
- Redeveloped menu, lowered food cost from 51% to 27%
- Increased food revenue by 44%
- Redeveloped beverage program, including new wine list and bar selections
- Increased alcohol sales from 5% of total sales to 23% of total sales
- Retrained all employees in both the front and back of the house
- Cut labor cost from 47% to 22%
Le Cordon Bleu, London, England
Grand Diploma | Patisserie Diploma | Cuisine Diploma (2003)
- Completed basic, intermediate, and superior level patisserie courses; achieved a mark of distinction in intermediate level; completed basic, intermediate, and superior level cuisine courses.
- Food Hygiene and Safety Certificate from The Royal Institute of Public Health with a grade of Honors
The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN
BS Business Administration, Finance (2000)
Sigma Chi Fraternity
University of Tennessee Football Team (walk on 1996, 1997 seasons)
ServSafe, Food & Safety Certification (2010)
Wine and Spirits Education Trust, Level 2 Certification (2009)
Gordon Ramsay’s Kitchen Nightmares, restaurant reviewer – aired May 3, 2013
Iron Chef of America, featured Sous Chef – aired December 5, 2010.
The Local Palate: Eatymology, Succotash, June , July, 2013 edition
Bolus, Matt, and Patty Elsberry. Simply Vanilla: Recipes for Everyday Use. Charleston, SC: Elevate, 2006. Print.
Bolus, Matt. Foreword. Old Cookery Books and Ancient Cuisine. By William C. Hazlitt. Vol. 1. Charleston:
Bibliobazaar, 2010. Print.
Bolus, Matt. Foreword. Aunt Mena’s Recipe Book. By M. B. Bosson. Charleston: Bibliobazaar, to be published.
Bolus, Matt. Foreword. Culinary Gems: A Collection of Choice Recipes. By Emily E. Squire. 1884 ed. Charleston:
Bibliobazaar, to be published.
Bolus, Matt. Foreword. Fish, Flesh, and Fowl: A Book of Recipes for Cooking. By Me State Street, Ladies of State
Street Parish. 1877 ed. Charleston: Bibliobazaar, to be published.
Bolus, Matt. Foreword. In Foreign Kitchens: With Choice Recipes from England, France, Germany, Italy, and The
North. By Helen S. Campbell. 1903 ed. Charleston: Bibliobazaar, to be published.
Bolus, Matt. Foreword. The Chemistry of Cooking and Cleaning a Manual for Housekeepers. By Ellen H.
Henrietta. 1907 ed. Charleston: Bibliobazaar, to be published.
Nashville City Paper: The Eating Life: In Search of the Perfect Turkey, November 7, 2012
The Tennessean: Nashville Food Project benefit dinner attracts top chefs (written article and video), Jennifer Justus, July 10, 2012
Herrick, Holly. The Charleston Chef’s Table: Extraordinary Recipes from the Heart of the Old South. Guilford, CT: Three Forks, 2010. Print.
Farragut Press: Style section, March 1, 2007 edition
Farragut Press: Style section West Side Story, Spring 2007 insert